Tuesday, October 26, 2010

{Nutty Putty Cyclers}

Between the ages of about 5 and 10 years old I had a friend that I considered one of my all time best friends. Emily and I were inseparable. I have countless memories of our families getting together for dinner or a movie night, swimming at the Reynolds next door, riding bikes, playing dress-up, playing sardines with her brothers or playing house in her attic. I considered her family. Until one day her Dad got transferred for work. I was devastated. Over the years we lost contact but I never forgot about her. 

Last year I heard about John Jones who died in the nutty putty cave over Thanksgiving. You can read his story here


I had never met him before but I felt so connected to his story because his sister Cherie is an old neighbor and friend of mine. I read blogs and looked at pictures of his cute family. I never made the connection until this past Sunday. 

My Mom called me and told me that John's wife was my dear friend Emily from my childhood. My heart just sank! I felt terrible that I didnt realize this earlier. I had seen her picture a million times on blogs and on the news but never put 2 and 2 together. I felt so sorry that I couldnt be there for her through all of this.

Here she is with her two adorable children. She was 2 months pregnant when her Husband passed away. She named her baby John Edward Jones II after her Husband.

I just reconnected with her after about 17 years and found what her amazing little brother is doing to help. Him and 3 friends are cycling from coast to coast to try and raise money for the Liz Logelin Foundation. Its a charity that supplies grants and support to widows and widowers who have recently lost a spouse.  

You can read about them HERE and follow their progress through twitter or facebook.


I plan on donating and want to spread the word about these amazing men. I admire every single one of them.

1 comment:

Emily Jones said...

Elyse! After all these years you are still an amazing friend! Thank you sooooo much. You don't know how much this means to our family! We love you!