Friday, February 1, 2008

Farwell beloved Prophet

One of the most memorable experiences of my life happened today. After I heard that President Hinckley has passed away I decided that I wanted to go to his viewing. I new that it probably be an all day event, but so worth it.
Well I heard through a friend that it only took about 20 minutes to go through and to leave bags and strollers in the car to get in faster. We got all ready and left the house at about 2:00pm and decided to grab some food on the way. We got on the freeway and I just felt that maybe we should go straight there and get there before it got too late. An hour later we reached the conference center and saw enormous lines outside. We waited for about an hour outside in the cold, with Tatum. Finally we got inside where they seated us while we waited to see the Prophet. An usher told us that it would probably be another hour and a half sitting before we could go upstairs. After about 10 minutes we got up to leave thinking that Tatum would never sit for that long... remember we didn't have a diaper bag with toys or treats. As we were walking out the sweetest lady who was an usher asked us why we were leaving. After telling her that we had been here for an hour and a half already and that Tatum wouldn't sit any longer, she told us to follow her out. She took us to an elevator and told us that we have gotten this far and shouldn't miss out on this great experience. We got off the elevator thanking her and got to the room where President Hinckley's body was. A sudden flow of emotions hit me like a ton of bricks! I couldn't even see him yet but I just felt the spirit so strong. We were put right in line to see him, he was only a few feet away. I stood inches away from his body with tears streaming down my face. I felt such strong emotions and not because I was sad, I was so overcome with joy! I stood there thinking of all the wonderful things this man has done and then I just knew that what I was feeling was his spirit. It was such an amazing feeling and something that I will never forget as long as I live.
Looking back at these events, we realized that we witnessed a miracle. If we had stopped to get food on the way or walked out a few moments later, we would have missed this lady and would not have seen President Hinckley. Its just amazing how the Lord works and I am so glad that we followed our intuition.

No comments: